A Conversation for Manchester United and the ABUs

there's more to it than that

Post 1

Niallmc

It's not just the fact that they're so successful which causes people to hate them. It also comes from the Triumphalism which (seems to) emanate from the club and especially the fans. From having not won the league for 20-30 years (don't remember exactly how long) to winning everything in sight the fans have changed from the worst losers (we're still the greatest team in the world even though we don't show it by winning the league) to the worst winners (we're the bash nah nah na na nah!).
The thing is, Liverpool dominated the game in the 80s more than utd do now but they never seemed to be so 'in your face' about it. They just went out every week and won. I also think that the medias obsession with Man U has a lot to do with the dislike.
Hey, I'm Irish and our national tv station seems to think that the only football worth showing is Man Utd vs anyone else and the commentators are unbelievably biased towards them (and they are'nt even OUR team).
I have to finish off by saying that I too hate Utd ('scum' as I affectionately call them) and long for the day when they fall from power.


there's more to it than that

Post 2

Dinsdale Piranha

I think Liverpool WERE hated to the same extent as Man U are now, because the media were simultaneously obsessed with all thing Liverpudlian (in England anyway). The top show was Bread (lovable Scouse scallies), some TERRIBLE stand-ups came out of the woodwork on the back of having the appropriate accent (you know who you are, Stan Boardman), and Match of the Day was as resolutely pro-Liverpool then as it is pro-Mn U now. The only amusement I get from watching MOTD is to see Alan Hansen getting grumpy about them all the time.

I can still remember the cheer that went up when Portsmouth scored a penalty and looked like they were about to knock Liverpool out of the Cup in the semi final. There wasn't a Pompey fan within miles of the place.


there's more to it than that

Post 3

Dinsdale Piranha

In fact, as I remember, even my WIFE cheered at that point, and she's a Southampton supporter.


there's more to it than that

Post 4

Tom

I think the essential difference between Man U now and Liverpool in the 80s is the reaction of the fans to the success. Liverpool fans certianly enjoyed their domination but appreciated that it must eventually come to and end and therefore were much better losers than Man U are at the moment. As an Evertonian through and through (thanks a bunch dad!) I must state once and for all that I hate man u with a lot more fervour than i hate liverpool due primarily to the amount of bloody annoying man u fans i know.


there's more to it than that

Post 5

Demon Drawer

Hear hear Tom. I'm a Liverpool fan and have been for 25 years since I was 5. All I get from Man U fans is how ther've won this and that. How many times do I have to have the fact that Man U have won 12 league titles slammed in my face, (18 for Liverpool) or the glorious treple (with a squad of what 30), Liverpool won League, League Cup and Euro Cup and reached the qf of the FA with a squad of 17 in the 80's but I don't harp on about it unless provoked by small minded aren't we great.

I accept that Liverpool have slipped up in the last 10 years, and am looking forward to the next few years now we have a squad capable of stopping the best in Europe again. But I know that even if we do reign agian it will be another passing phase and I'll be waiting for the 3rd Shankly to come along and rebuild again. Plus Liverpool won with dignaty, Man U win at all costs harranging refs etc.

I appreciate good football, I even call decisions against Liverpool when I'm watching. I went out with a Man U supporter and started to appreciate the skill but still hate the attitude. So here's to Leeds winning the league. smiley - smiley


there's more to it than that

Post 6

Possum

I think that any right-minded football fan should be drinking to that...

I never used to hate Man U. I'm a Tranmere fan (Nationwide Division One for all you 'I'm only bothered about the Premiership' types) and so I used to just get amused by the whole thing. Over the past 2 or so years, though, something has changed which has made me rather slit my own wrists than support United. I've put it down to three things:

1) A good friend of mine, Wirral born and bred, who had supported Everton, and had Everton supporters in his family since god-knows-when, defected over to the "red scum", betraying a huge part of what football is about - tradition and loyalty.

2) When United won the European Cup last year the media uproar was astounding. As most people with any knowledge of football could tell the Man U worshippers, in 1999 United went from having won the European Cup as many times as Aston Villa to having won it as many times as Notts Forrest. Wow - greatest team ever, or what. Erm...best move swiftly on, United fans.

3) The team is full of swines. Their attitude to discipline is appalling, and their childish sulking when a decision goes against them is embarrassing.

My little cousin, 3 years old, has started referring to David Beckham as "Big Puff", and Roy Keane as "Big-shoutey man".

From the mouths of babes, eh?


there's more to it than that

Post 7

Demon Drawer

Possum in my defence I also have the homepages of Kingstonian (my university local team) and Bangor (my Irish league local team) in my favourites and Liverpool are only just off the ferry. smiley - smiley


there's more to it than that

Post 8

Possum

If anyone wants to support Liverpool then that's okay - because I'm biased (Liverpool being the greatest city, like, in the world, ever).


there's more to it than that

Post 9

hanging sheep

As a lifelong Leeds United fan I resent being lumped in with the ABUs. Every Leeds fan knows it is their right and duty to despise all things red from Manchester. I wouldn't even go and see Leeds play at Old Trafford because that would be contributing to Merchandise United's coffers.


there's more to it than that

Post 10

Dinsdale Piranha

Do you watch Leeds on Sky? Or indeed, do you subscribe to Sky Sports? If so, you are contributing to Old Trafford's coffers with the money old Rupe paid to the Premiership, which is shared out between all Premiership clubs.

I thought you should know. smiley - winkeye


there's more to it than that

Post 11

hanging sheep

Unfortunately Murdoch also owns 9.9% of Leeds as well as the 9.9% of ManU he owns. I think he owns a chunk of Man City as well as a few others. There's really no escaping it, but at least it's not a direct contribution. smiley - smiley I actually watch Leeds down the pub, it's cheaper than subscribing and my landlord hasn't got around to installing the bar in the living room yet.


there's more to it than that

Post 12

Jaziniho

Man City? There are many confused people out there. May God be merciful.


there's more to it than that

Post 13

Hazza

Even Murdoch doesn't want to put all his eggs in one basket ( and what a bunch of baskets they are...).


there's more to it than that

Post 14

discopants

Murdoch's got shares in Chelsea, Man Utd, Leeds, Sunderland and Man. City. Good for the game? I think not. NTL are also following the route of getting in with as many clubs as possible. I think the whole thing about hating Man Utd. is a heap of crap. They might be huge, rich and successful but at the end of the day, their rivalries lie first with City, then with Liverpool and Leeds. Everybody else can bang on about it as much as they like, but they're only jealous of their success. Especially cos their fans are (mostly) fickle part timers and the players are a disgrace. The press brown-nosing does little to help the situation either.


And there's more.

Post 15

Lucan

I would gladly swap my team (Arsenal, if you want to know) being relegated to the first division with the lowest Premiership points score EVER if Manchester United, in return, would agree to be wiped out in another plane crash. And I would sleep particularly soundly.

On a slightly less frothing-at-mouth point, I think the thing that does it for me is when you see people like Giggs and Keane sitting there and suggesting that they already play for the Biggest Club In The World. In today's financial driven game this is pretty undeniable, but I can't help feeling that Real Madrid, Milan & Barcelona might just have something to say in the matter otherwise.


And there's more.

Post 16

shifty

great team utd


Key: Complain about this post