A Conversation for Bento - Japanese Food

Bento in Hawaii

Post 1

Cenchrea

Just a heads-up, in case you decide on some exotic east-meets-west fare during your Hawaiian vacation: Modern "Hawaiian" food is notoriously high in fat and salt (as bulging waistlines in the islands can attest to) and the Bento does not find itself exempt. Rice is still a cherished tradition, but accomapnying it will probably be bacon, fried eggs, vienna sausage, fried spam, and other greasy protiens. No vegetables.

If you really want to indulge, this is an excellent way to keep your energy levels up all day what with the protien and fat (don't kid yourself-- fat is a nutrient, too!) but you will probably want to munch on nothing else but vitamin-packed low-fat fresh veggies and salads later....if for nothing else, just to get that taste of salty grease off you tongue.


Bento in Hawaii

Post 2

Saturnine

smiley - wow

That's kinda cool. Dually noted!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more