Life, the Universe and... y'know... stuff.
They call me Mr Prophet
Just to be clear, I call myself the Prophet, but in no way claim divine insight or anything. It's a sort of joke from my heady college days, when friends would gather in my room because it was large, and I always had tea. Thus my room became Mecca, and I the Prophet. It used to say here that it would take too long to explain. I guess I was lying.
In real life my name is Luke and I was born a few months before Star Wars came out. Perhaps as a result, there can be few people as certain of their paterntity as I am: My Dad is forever reminding me that he is my father!
Thanks to my friends, the Droolers, I now go by Mr Prophet here at H2G2.
Here's a link - for those who are interested - to my personal website; a little place I call Lost Vegas.
I am also the Keeper of Sarcasm for h2g2. I'm really happy about that; oh yeah, ecstatic. (Just doing my job)
I'm going to get a little sombre now. I hope nobody minds.
- Of Linda Smith and Ivor Cutler.
- Of David 'Olag Gan' Jackson and Michael 'Admiral Ozel' Sheard, stars of the British cult convention circuit.
- Of James Doohan and Ed Bishop, cult heroes of the last golden age, whose legacy is the current golden age.
- Of John Peel. The rest is silence.
- Of Katharine Hepburn and Gregory Peck, among the last of a golden generation of screen actors, and of their contemporaries gone but never forgotten.
- Of the crew of the space shuttle Columbia.
- Of John Thaw, Chuck Jones and Spike Milligan.
- Of Nigel Hawthorne.
- Of George Harrison.
- Of the victims, survivors and families of the September 11th attacks.
- Of Douglas Noel Adams. Farewell, Sir: So long, and thanks for everything.
- Of Kirsty MacColl.
- Of the mighty Ocelot, housecat extraordinaire. Tragically, the off-site image restrictions mean I am unable to bring you a glorious photo of the late, great Ocelot, but this lard-ball mog looms large still in all our hearts.
- Of those gone before; especially those whose time came too soon.
Things to do...
OK. Back from seriousness now. Here are some things that I like to do:
- h2g2 Fiction Central has some excellent stuff, so I'm going to link to that. The page also links to my own fiction entries, and in time I may add more.
- Yes, indeed I do write, whether this is a good idea or not. For stuff which might - for any reason - contravene the House Rules, or that I want to keep hold of the rights on, I maintain a site on a server named Ocelot (after the cat). This site I call The Lost Vegas Public Library.
- Also writing - of a sort - are my entries in the Fantasy Film League.
- Time for a small confession: I am a roleplay gamer. I always worry about saying this, because people tend to react either by staring blankly, or by saying: "Oh; Dungeons & Dragons/Final Fantasy?" As a matter of personal taste I haven't played D&D in years (although I have a bit of a yen to get back to some good, old-fashioned high fantasy monster beating), and Final Fantasy isn't roleplay gaming. At some point I intend to write an article explaining why1.
- As though that weren't enough, I'm also a big fan of Science Fiction in all its glory and ghastliness. I used to be more into fantasy than SF, but it all gets so samey. Still a huge fan of Lord of the Rings, but I decided a while ago that any book with four or more unpronouncable, made-up names on the back cover was not worth the bother.
- I'm embarking on my first University Project. Hopefully it will go well. I'm adding a link to the University of Life as much to help me find it as anything.
- I am an obsessive. I don't think it's clinical, but I tend to dramatically overthink things in minute detail. A testament to this can be found in the form of the Lost Vegas Institute for Slayer Studies (eLVISS); an open-all-hours shrine to my own obsessiveness.
- I like movies. I could easily be considered a film nut (not a buff; a film buff always knows who the DP was, I just know what a DP is2), and I have watched a lot of films over the years. Inevitably therefore, I have watched a lot of dross, and so I have created The Prophet's Bad Movie Mecca as a means of warning others away from repeating my mistakes.
...People to see
I don't really like people; not as a species or in crowds anyway. However, there are many specific people that I do like; here are some of them; specifically, researchers with whom I share one or more obsessions:
- First and foremost; my sister, who goes by the name White Hart in these parts, and who is at least as big a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and Angel) as I am. She is also one of the only people in the world who has read Lester and the Unusual Pet, and thus doesn't think I'm mad if I call someone a Potato Animal. Other people sometimes think we made the whole thing up, but we didn't. Honest.
- Methos is - like me - a fan of the Highlander TV series, and of the character Methos in particular (you'd never guess). We also share a taste for folklore.
- Sho is a fan of Stargate: SG-1 and the Clangers, and wrote a fan fiction based on a plot bunny we came up with in conversation: Stargate meets Smallfilms in Postgate: PG-1. She also beta read my own fanfic efforts, and in all honesty probably deserves substantial credit for her insightful recommendations on my fan fiction article.
- Then there's Joanna, Princess of Darkness (plus whatever else she has in her name this week), who agreed to be the sub-editor for my University Project, and who is therefore wonderful in my eyes.
- Latest, but not least, Konrad is a fellow archaeologist, and perhaps more importantly has willingly taken on the mammoth task of editing my over-sized samurai entry.
There will be more to follow. This space is always under construction, and new stuff will be added as I think of new rules for living, find new cool stuff to do, new cool people to recommend to you, and - inevitably - as new people come to require our memory to keep them with us. Until then, whatever gods you prefer be with you.
And remember: Winners don't use drugs.3
This user has no Entry subscriptions
Name: Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)
Most Recent Approved Entries
h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of Not Panicking Ltd. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.
- This user has no Bookmarks